JUNIOR SCHOOL K-4
Our Junior School is comprised of teachers and students in Kindergarten through to Year 4. At this stage of learning, natural curiosity is a powerful ally for teachers. Students have an interest in the world around them. Teachers tap into this interest to get the best out of these young minds. Your child’s natural curiosity will be nurtured into a thirst for knowledge, which is typically the seed that grows into a love of learning. It is a very special time in a child’s educational journey and we see it as the gateway to lifelong learning.
We have a detailed plan to help your child learn how to read. At the beginning of the school year students are tested to determine their reading level. We use tests developed by the Australian Council for Educational Research (ACER) and Fountas & Pinnell that provide feedback to teachers and parents months before the NAPLAN tests take place.
Feedback from tests allow us to customise our approach when we are teaching your child how to read. In some cases, we find that students can read fluently but the tests reveal that the student does not comprehend what they are reading. In other cases, the tests identify the need for further specialist advice.
When our students are learning to read they have access to a wide variety of resources to help them read at their appropriate level. They can access a whole library of books through their iPad and we also use physical resources which are kept close at hand in the classroom.
Our teachers are trained in two systems of phonics that can be blended together to teach the mechanics of reading. The two systems that we use are Soundwaves (developed in Australia) and Jolly Phonics which was developed in the United Kingdom.
In addition to our focus on teaching our students how to read and write we spend a significant portion of the day in Maths and we have a rich selection of topics in the areas of Science, History, the Arts and PDHPE.
Here are a few highlights from our Junior School calendar that you will not want to miss:
- Every week we have an assembly where we take the time to recognise the great work that the students have achieved throughout the week. We also recognise students who are exhibiting traits that we value in our ACC Learner Profile. Parents are always welcome to attend!
- We have a variety of incursions that take place during the school year. Our students love spending time with farm animals and taking turns on the water hose provided by the NSW Rural Fire Service. And of course we can’t forget the teddy bears picnic!
- Students love playing on our adventure playground which includes multiple slides, draw bridges and a flying fox.
If you have a chance to talk to some parents in the Junior School this is what they love:
- Parents love the ability to email and interact with their child’s teacher. You can usually find all of our Junior School teachers with their children after school always ready for a quick chat.
- Parents love receiving a “Ready for School” assessment in the middle of Term 1 that talks about how their child is responding to being in a school environment. This assessment is a great tool to help parents and teachers work together to create the best learning environment for their children.
- Parents love receiving pictures of what their children are doing during the week and regular class news. They also like receiving information about the apps that students are using on their iPads – it’s important to use technology in the best way possible.
- Parents love the optional “Parent Connect” forum which is a morning tea format meeting with our Principal.